I quite often receive orders for cupcakes that have to match certain dietary requirements. Whether it be egg free, gluten, dairy free or even vegan I still have to stick to my cupcake rules – no artificial flavourings & no nasty stuff. I know I often bang on about this a little too much, but it is really important to me that my cupcakes contain nothing but yummy goodness and you know that you are not putting anything nasty into your tummies. It has taken me a while to perfect my recipes too so now that I am confident with these I feel its only right to share a few every now and again – sharing is caring and all that!
So today, I am going to share a really simple vegan cupcake recipe. Its not only vegan, its also gluten free and of course dairy free – vegan’s don’t eat any animal product whatsoever – so no butter, no eggs, no cream for example. Oh and just to clear anything up – I’ve often seen people commenting saying they use Stork spread in vegan cakes – you mustn’t as this actually has buttermilk in! A tiny bit, but still not acceptable.
This recipe will yield 12 yummy, light & fresh cupcakes, and will easily double up if you need to make more:
Vegan Lemon Cupcakes:
- 300g Doves Gluten free self raising flour
- 3tsp gluten free baking powder
- 10tbsp sunflower oil
- 340ml water
- 270 g caster sugar
- 2tsp vanilla extract
- 3 fresh lemons, juice and rind
Preheat the oven to 160°C and line your cupcake tin ready
- In one large bowl sieve the flour and baking powder & mix them together
- Next add the sugar, combining well
- Mix the water, oil and vanilla in a separate bowl and then add to your dry ingredients
- Squeeze two lemons into your mixture and grate 1 of the lemons adding the rind to your mixture too.
- Scoop evenly into your cases
- Bake for 25 minutes, but if they still look a little pale (depending on your oven), give them an extra 2 minutes
For the icing:
- 350g icing sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 100g vegan margarine – I prefer to use Sunflower Pure spread, but another acceptable one is Vitalite.
- Literally add everything except the lemons to one mixing bowl and whizz together. Squeeze out the lemon juice and then as previously done also grate the rind and add this to your icing.
Delicious! You honestly wouldn’t know these are vegan! If you try my recipe please let me know how you get on.