I’m a huge chocoholic! So its only right that my chocolate cupcakes reflect this. I hate it when I see & taste chocolate cupcakes that are just not ‘chocolately’ enough! I’ve tinkered with my recipe a few times, added or subtracted an ingredient here and there and eventually have one I’m confident in sharing. So here it is:
This recipe will bake 12 large cupcakes and it also works fine when doubling up too 🙂 I use a mixer but it will work perfectly fine with hand mixing also.
- 200g plain flour
- 200g golden caster sugar (normal caster sugar doesn’t give the same ‘molassey/treacle’ taste)
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 70g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 100g of melted dark chocolate
- 140ml of sour cream
- 60ml of vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Bean Paste (extract works fine too)
- 1 large shot of espresso coffee (in coffee lingo a double shot is large)
- Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees and line your cupcake tins ready.
- Put all your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb, cocoa powder) in one large mixing bowl and combine well
- In a separate smaller bowl, add your egg, sour cream, vanilla, vegetable oil, and mix together.
- Add your wet ingredients to your dry and mix in slowly until all combined.
- Add your melted chocolate & espresso coffee to the mixture. I do this bit by hand. Don’t worry about it being too runny either, this is normal.
- Use an ice-cream scoop to add your cases, fill a little less than you normally would (just a little under 3/4) as they will rise well, bake for around 22-25 minutes – this will vary depending on your oven.
Voila! If you try this recipe please let me know how you got on and even share your results if you fancy 🙂 Enjoy!