I recently worked with Canderel who teamed up with the FareShare Community Food Network on an very worthwhile project to produce a recipe that uses left over ingredients people often have at home. Baking with Canderel is surprisingly easy and I thought this cake tasted delicious, especially with a lovely cup of tea or coffee.
Figuring out what we always have left over in our home was simple; bananas! And all good bakers know that the riper a banana is, the better a bake it makes. I always have bananas, and even at the end of their shelf life they bake beautifully. With a healthy twist and a super simple recipe to follow, this sugar and dairy free Banana and Walnut cake tastes delicious.
Make good use of your leftovers by downloading our Canderels leftovers recipe e-book. A collection of delicious recipes created by popular bloggers, serving up some tasty inspiration to make good use of your leftovers and reduce food waste in your household.
- 2 Bananas
- 2 Large Eggs
- 100 ml Vegetable oil
- 15 g Canderel Sweetener
- 180 g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 pinch Salt
- 60 g chopped walnuts
- Set the oven to Gas Mark 180°C.
- Line and prepare your loaf tin with two strips of grease-proof paper so no oil or butter is needed to grease the tin.
- Peel the bananas and throw in your bowl and turn the mixer on low (If you’re just mixing by hand mash them up)
- Add your eggs and oil slowly mixing until all combined
- Now add all your dry ingredients mixing slowly until just combined. Add in your walnuts, saving a few to sprinkle on top, and fold in the mixture carefully.
- Pour the mixture into your lined loaf tin and lay the remaining walnuts on top
- Bake for 30 minutes. Test before removing as it’s possible it may need another 5-10 minutes (all ovens vary). If you are unsure insert a skewer into the cake making sure it comes out clean.
- Set aside and leave to cool for around 15-20 minutes. You’ll then be able to lift out using the edges of the greaseproof paper and peel off.
- Leave to cool a little more, 20 minutes maybe. Enjoy!
As also seen in Woman’s Own magazine – April 2018 issue