I think it’s safe to say that after cake, cheese-cake is probably one of my most favourite desserts. EVER. One slice leads to two, two slices to…half. Yes really. I find myself leaving a fork out on my kitchen worktop and every half an hour opening the fridge door just to have a little bit more… it’s lethal! So when working with Fentimans on a recipe creation project recently you can only imagine how excited I was to be making a Gin and Tonic Cheesecake.
The grapefruit in this cheesecake recipe gives a nice tangy subtle kick, leaving a delicious refreshing aftertaste… hence the kitchen top fork… and the biscuit base is perfectly generous. I hate those cheesecakes that are stingy on the base and there’s just this sad thin layer of nothingness leaving you craving more crunchy buttery goodness.
And just look at those pretty little flecks of pink too!
Because of the gin, tonic and the grapefruit juice I was slightly concerned that this cheesecake would be a bit ‘sloppy’ (I hate that word-sorry) so I added the Vege-gel (Gelatin is also fine, but I’m vegetarian). My fears were rescued as it actually helps with creating a lovely firm texture with no sloppiness whatsoever.
Not as easy as it sounds…
Full disclosure though, it took me three attempts to get this Gin and Tonic cheesecake recipe exactly right! The first I added way, way, way too much gin (I like gin OK!) and when I took it out of the tin we were getting those forks out and eating it off the kitchen side, before I had to scrape the rest into the bin… remember that episode of friends where Joey, Chandler and Rachel are eating cheesecake off the floor… yep, that was us!
I’ve shared a few gin based recipes now and I know the Ombré gin and pink rose lemonade one especially went down a treat! Thank you to those who sent me their amazing photos and tagged me on Instagram too. You’re all amazing, seriously. The lovely words and messages I receive from people who actually bake what I put on here is just the best…I can’t find the right words for exactly how grateful I really am.
Without rambling on any more… here’s the recipe. Oh and yes, I know, I know… the flowers on the top look like mini-cabbages… I’ve got my boyfriend to thank for that one! Thanks Steve.
A no-bake vegetarian fresh Pink Grapefruit Gin and Tonic Cheesecake with a sweet buttery moreish crisp biscuit base.
– 250 g Digestives
– 150 g Unsalted Butter
– 500g Full Fat Cream Cheese
– 100g Mascarpone
– 125 g Icing Sugar
– Juice and pulp of one Grapefruit
– 75 g Caster Sugar
– 2 sachets Vege-Gel
– 300 ml Extra-Thick Double Cream
– 50ml of gin
– 50ml of tonic
For the Biscuit Base
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and set aside to cool whilst you smash your biscuits until they are crushed and fine. You can do this in a food processor or in a bowl with the end of a rolling-pin.
- Mix both together until combined.
- Press the biscuits into the base of a 20cm deep Spring form tin and make sure it’s firmly pressed down and level.
- Refrigerate until the next stage is complete, or at least for 20 minutes.
For the Cheesecake Filling
- Take a saucepan and add the juice and pulp of the grapefruit, gin, tonic and caster sugar and both sachets of veg-gel mixing slowly until combined and it starts bubble creating a syrup.
- Take off the heat and set aside to cool.
- In your stand mixer, with a whisk attachment (or bowl if using a hand-whisk), add your cream cheese, mascarpone and icing sugar. Whisk together till smooth
- Starting slowly, pour in the syrup until it’s all whisked in, and smooth
- Add in your double cream and whisk again till smooth
- Pour the mixture in the tin, and smooth over
- Leave to set in the fridge overnight and decorate with fresh grapefruit, flowers or sprinkles!